Thursday, September 1, 2011

Tag Team Blogging

Hi, everyone.  I've been tagged!  This is Dana's Mom, also known as Sandra.  My daughter, who began this endeavor, envisioned this as a joint project that both of us would keep updated.  So, since she is being her usual busy self, she suggested that it is my turn to update.

I'm too lazy to number the days, so I will simply update for the week of August 21-27.  That was the week of my second round of chemo.  After working all day Monday, the 22nd, I was eager [maybe that's a little strong] . . . I was ready to get the second round over with.  Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday was about the same as the first time; but this time I knew what to expect and that seemed to make it easier.  I still felt like a truck had run over me, backed up, and ran over me again, but it was okay. 

The week of August 28-September 2 has brought a new "side effect" - a sore mouth, which I did not have before.  It brought back memories of when Dana was having chemo [30 years ago] and she would have ulcers all in her mouth and down her throat.  She was miserable and so were we.  It is so difficult to see your child suffer and not be able to "make it all better."  At Children's Hospital, she was given something called "Magic Mouth Wash" which would numb her mouth and throat so that she could eat a little.  Want to guess what I was given?  You're right!  Magic Mouth Wash.  By the time I got it, my mouth was so much better that I haven't had to use it yet.  But at least I have it for when I do.

Also, when I went for lab work on Tuesday, the 30th, I almost passed out.  I scared them so bad we bypassed the doctor and they took me by wheelchair straight to the infusion room for fluids.  Seems as though I was dehydrated again.  At first they weren't going to give me the iron they said I needed, but once I started to feel better after the fluids, they agreed to go ahead with the iron.  I was at CCI {Clearview Cancer Center} from 8:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.  I was disappointed to find out that the iron wouldn't work instantly, but I was assured that in a few days I would feel soooooo much better. 

I was hoping that I would be able to work some this week, but so far I haven't quite felt like it.  The doctor told me to be my own judge about that aspect.  So, I am being optimistic that I can go in for at least a couple of hours in the morning.  I really need to do that for my own mental health.  As my children will confirm, I am not a good "stay at home mom."  I love my family, but I love my job too. 

I didn't mean for this to be a lengthy epistle, but I wanted to tell everyone who reads this what an amazing adventure [or journey, as Dana calls it] this continues to be.  I have been overwhelmed by the prayers, words of encouragement, cards, and offers of help that I have received.  I am very blessed.


Quincy Sorensen said...

Hello Sandra, it is so good to "hear" your voice on this blog. I am sorry about your sore mouth. Are you really old enough to have a child who had chemo 30 years ago? I hope you will feel up to going to work soon. I know you are missed there. You are in my prayers. You are very loved.

Julie said...

Yay for an update...and from my favorite Aunt Sandra too! Glad you are feeling better & I hope you can get into work for a little while. Love you!

Dahnelle said...

You are quite an amazing woman. Thanks for the update!

Jessica M said...

We are all eager for each new update! You are in our prayers.

Jenni said...

Sandra, It is so good to see an update from you! They are great at CCI (I see Dr. Dang) - if you have to go through this they are the best to get you through! Continued prayers and well wishes!

Post a Comment